Brooks F. Poley is a shareholder with Winthrop & Weinstine, P.A. and represents clients in complex commercial litigation matters. His experience includes contract, misrepresentation and fiduciary duty actions; shareholder disputes; private and government antitrust matters; securities actions; intellectual property actions involving patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret claims; insurance coverage disputes; and product liability claims. His clients have extended across numerous industries including banking and financial services, food, energy, transportation, consumer products, insurance, professional services and construction. Mr. Poley is married and has three children.
- Represented California utility against claims seeking
in excess of $125 million regarding ownership dispute over wind energy
projects. Summary judgment granted in
favor of client on virtually all claims and damages. Settlement of remaining claim followed.
- Represented prominent construction company in minority
shareholder dispute. Matter favorably resolved
following partial summary judgment granted in favor of client.
- Represented marketing business in connection with
shareholder claims. Following dismissal
of most claims, case settled at mediation.
- Represented national bank in defense of contract and
misrepresentation claims in connection with sale of assets. All claims dismissed prior to trial.
- Represented leading financial institution against
claims arising from securities lending program losses incurred during financial
crisis. Following seven week trial, jury
verdict returned in favor of bank client on all counts.
- Defended national bank against antitrust, RICO, fraud, and contract claims asserted in connection with asset sale and seeking over $180 million in damages. Dispositive motion granted with respect to all claims.
- Represented major broker-dealer in UCC dispute. All
claims dismissed without cost to client.
- Represented community bank in dispute regarding
midnight deadline. Prevailed at district
court and affirmed on appeal.
- Lead or co-lead counsel in numerous Sherman Act Section
1 and 2 actions, on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants, including matters
involving chemicals, flat glass, dispute resolution services, insurance,
consumer products, food, and electronics.
- Represented construction business in arbitration
proceeding requesting damages of $3 million for alleged construction defects. Following two week hearing, arbitrator
returned decision in favor of client and awarded no damages.
- Represented major investment bank in actions relating
to sale of mortgage-backed securities. All counts successfully resolved
following dispositive motion practice.
- Represented leading Minneapolis law firm in two separate
professional negligence actions. First
case resolved with Plaintiff making payments to law firm client; second matter favorably
resolved following submission of dispositive motion.
- Represented aircraft lessor in action with regional carrier over duration and terms of fleet leases. Summary judgment granted in favor of lessor client.
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th and 11th Circuits
U.S. Supreme Court