We represent clients as they interact with government, regulatory agencies, the legislature, local units of government or courts, working on your behalf to make sure your voice is heard in shaping public policy.
Our team of lobbyists relies on experience gained having served in high-level government positions and decades of experience representing clients before the state legislature and regulatory bodies. We know the decision-makers, the politics and the process, and the nuances state and local government. We help guide clients through the process of drafting, changing, and influencing legislation, and have extensive relationships with members of all levels of government.
- Health Care
- Non-profit Organizations
- Trade Associations
- Strategy development
- Legislative advocacy
- Bill drafting
- Ethics and election laws
- General business and competition
- Tax, bonding and appropriations
- Advocated at the legislature for behavioral health licensing rules to be codified into statute thereby eliminating the cumbersome rule-making process and paving the way for more efficient legislative action and changes.
- Represented a health care REIT in connection with defeating certain proposed legislation that would have negatively impacted the rights of owners and operators in nursing home involuntary receivership actions.
- Winthrop & Weinstine passed a bill to amend the pharmacy practice act to allow manufacturers of home dialysis drugs, supplies and devices to be exempted from being required to have an extra pharmacist at a distribution center if the manufacturer maintains control of all products from date of manufacture to date of delivery to the patient.
- On behalf of our hospital clients, Winthrop & Weinstine passed legislation to increase the number of swing beds allowed in hospitals. Swing beds are designed to provide additional inpatient care to those needing extra time to heal or strengthen before returning home. Winthrop & Weinstine helped broker this compromise between hospitals and the long term care industry.
- On behalf of our client who manufactures Naltrexone, Winthrop & Weinstine passed legislation creating a subsidy program administered by the Minnesota Department of Human Services for providers of Naltrexone. A Naltrexone injection is used to help narcotic dependents who have stopped taking narcotics to stay drug-free.
Dedicated Attorneys and Professionals