I am a registered patent agent with more than 35 years of experience in the mechanical, electro-mechanical, software, electrical and medical devices industries. I assist inventors to help identify and solidify their innovations to the broadest extent, and prepare and prosecute patent applications before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the Patent Cooperation Treaty system, the European Patent Office and other foreign jurisdictions. I conduct state-of-the art searches and prior art searches to determine patentability, validity and freedom-to-operate analysis. In addition, I provide insight and education regarding US and international patent laws and procedures for my clients, and work with clients on competitive analysis of their existing and planned products.
Prior to my career as a patent agent, I worked as an applied research and development engineer for various organizations, including Honeywell International, Inc. I am listed as the sole or the first inventor on 20 US patents and their foreign equivalents, and have authored 12 technical publications.
I earned my bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Minnesota, where I am also currently pursuing a degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Associations & Memberships
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association (MIPLA)
- Energy Innovations Small Grant (EISG) Program
- Technical Proposal Reviewer
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRACE)
- Technical Paper Reviewer
- USPTO Inventor Assistance Program
- Pro bono patent application prosecution
- LegalCORPS Inventor Assistance Program
- Pro bono provisional patent application assistance
- Young Inventors Program
- Surly Gives A Damn (SGAD)
- Community Services Volunteer
- Minnesota Public Radio
- 2009 News Fellow